ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM
SMILES assists people with disabilities as they work to eliminate barriers faced on a daily basis. Assistive technology is a primary tool in this effort. (View Deaf and Hard of Hearing Assistive Technology here).
- Any customized item, piece of equipment or product system used to improve the functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.
- Assistive Technology applies to daily living, education, employment, and recreation needs.
- Program is available to consumers with disabilities, family members, service providers, and the community at large.
- Assessments are provided to help determine the assistive technology needs regarding daily living, employment, education and recreation.
- If a device has been identified for use, training and one-on-one support is available to a consumer in its use.
- Regional Technology Center allows consumers, family members, and service providers to learn about assistive technology in a hands-on environment.
- SMILES provides a Lending and Demonstration Library containing a large number of assistive technology devices, including items for daily living, various types of computer keyboards, adaptive computer mice, vision and hearing related items.
- The Lending and Demonstration library allows consumers to try a piece of technology in their home or work environment to see if it will fulfill their need(s).
- Items in the Lending and Demonstration Library are available to loan for 30 days to consumers looking at various forms of assistive technology.
- The Loan Program allows a consumer the opportunity to try a device to see if itfulfills the need without having to purchase the item first.
- SMILES organizes various Assistive Technology demonstrations with the Region 9 area demonstrating the use of assistive technology.
- Demonstrations are held at Nursing Homes, Independent Living & Assisted Living Complexes, Service Clubs, County Agencies, Community Expos, Schools, and other Service Providers, etc…
For more information contact SMILES here: contact form or call 507-345-7139 (1/888-676-6498 toll free).