The PCA Choice Option is an alternative option for the traditional PCA Program in Minnesota. Unlike traditional PCA services, the Choice Option allows for more control of services by the consumer. The aspects that increase a consumer’s control of their program under the Choice Option are:
• Staff recruitment, hiring, training and terminations
• Full participation in the development of their plan of cares
• PCA pay rates and Verification of timesheets
• Their choice of and full collaboration with a Qualified Professional
SMILES PCA Choice Program is intended to provide its consumers with more control of their programs. This control is intended to produce a variety of potential outcomes for recipients who have chosen SMILES as their PCA Choice provider. The outcomes that we expect from the program include:
• Recipients will assert their self-determination and achieve a strong, individualized program
• Recipients will increase their health and safety through more control
• Recipients will have a higher quality of life by recruiting their own staff
• Recipients will increase their communication, leadership and problem/conflict resolution skills
• Recipients will experience higher self-efficacy, self-esteem, and self-confidence
• Recipients will work proactively with a variety of professionals which will increase their knowledge about PCA services, the rules and laws that govern it and skills in managing staff.
The services provided under the Choice Option, similar to traditional programs, are required to be determined as “medically” necessary as the assessment determines the need for services described in the Service Plan. The services covered under the Choice Option are:
• Activities of Daily Living: Bathing, Grooming, Toileting, Mobility, Transferring,
Positioning, Eating, and Dressing.
• Instrumental Activities of Daily Living: Meal planning, shopping, light
housekeeping, participation in the community, etc…
• Behavior Interventions: Includes observing and redirecting behavior that
interferes with completion of PCA services.