Community Services provides Outreach and Education and Training, for SMILES Center for Independent Living. These services are provided to SMILES staff, managers, board members, consumers, public and nonprofit agencies, other organizations and the general public.
Outreach is provided to individuals and the general public who live in areas that are underserved in SMILES service delivery area. Community Services provides outreach materials regarding SMILES Center for Independent Living, the Independent Living Philosophy and the programs, services, and activities SMILES provides.
Outreach is delivered through:
- Community Expos / Service and Trade shows
- Assistive Technology Demonstrations
- Presentations and Workshops
- Special Events and Activities
- Newsletter and Printed Materials
- Broadcast, Print and Online Media
Education and Training is provided to increase the capacities of agencies, organizations, service providers and other entities to develop comprehensive approaches or systems for providing independent living services.
- Disability Awareness Training
- Technical Assistance on disability related issues and law
- In-Service on requested topics
- Support to conduct studies, analyses, development of model policies and procedures, task force committees and recommendations to local and regional policymakers in order to enhance independent living services for people with disabilities.
For more information, contact SMILES here: contact form or call 507-345-7139 (1/888-676-6498 toll free).